Tuesday, October 10, 2006

At long last- an update!


Week 1

The actual birth was long and hard. They don't call it "Labour" for nothing. I won't bore you with all the details but the Coleman notes version starts with my water breaking at 1:00 am, me waking Wil up at 3:00 am, the midwife arriving at 7:00 and all of us hospital bound at 8:30 am-just in time for rush hour. Thankfully, my midwives where there to guide us through the labour process and a variety of bizarre birthing postings but after 3( or so- I don't even remember anymore thanks to the nitrous oxide) hours of pushing, it was obvious that our baby was not coming our of her cocoon without some medical help. I was then handed off to a very nice doctor and received an epidural. I have never been so gratefully for pain relief IN MY LIFE. The rest happened pretty fast. Off to the operating room and by 3:55 we had Lola Rose in our arms. She was perfect, I however, did need some work.

I can't explain what it is like to meet someone you have grown inside you for 9 months for the first time. For the last few weeks of my pregnancy, I had become obsessed with what our baby might look like. Would she have Wil's blue eye or my brown eyes? Would she have dark hair or blond? Would she inherit my one stick out ear? Any then- there she is, in our arms, trying to figure out what just happened. Time seems to come to a crashing halt-the noise of the 8 other people in the room a mild background buzz as Wil and I beheld this little being that we had created. After a careful inspection- which included counting fingers and toes and Wil making sure there was no "tail"- we pronounced her absolutely perfect. And I can honestly say- it doesn't get any better than that.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I hear ya sister!