Monday, April 20, 2009

The joys of language

Watching your child develop the ability to speak is an amazing thing. We watched Lola grunts develop into very serious conversations of non-sensical words and phrases. Then we got to the "Bulllllly" stage. We could have entire conversations with the word "bully". This was a favorite for everyone. It would go something like this

Me: Bully?
Lola: Buuulllly
Me: Bully Bully?
Lola: Bulllly bulllly!!
Me; Bully Bully Bulleeeeeee!
Lola: BuLLY.

Then came random words thrown at us in rapid fire and not the right order. Example Water, ME!

Now, we have the joy of full sentences, although not always in the right order. Her favorite is "no more _________ anymore me!"

Lately, we have been schooled by Lola into what some of OUR favorite phases and words are. For example, I apparently say "I don't know" at the beginning of my sentences. Any question you ask Lola such as "what colour is this?" She replies "I don't know-red". Wil asks Lola to do things "RIGHT now" and so anything Lola needs is " I want to go the the park RIGHT now".

Lastly, there is the danger of the swearing in front of you kids. Don't look at me like that, everyone has done it! I said the F word, WEEKS ago, I might add, when I realized I had burnt the potatoes for dinner. Last week, as we were driving back from Windsor, Lola excitedly yelled out "F*ck!" from the backseat. Followed by a string of "F*ck Daddy(for the record, I NEVER said that!) "F*ck the cars" "F*ck the trees" "F*ck the birds" and "F*ck the sidewalk" before Wil and I realized that were were, indeed, hearing the work "F*ck". I looked out the window trying not to burst into laughter while Wil seriously told Lola that was not a word we should use to describe things like Daddys, birds, cars and sidewalks.

The best part about all of this is that each day brings a whole lot of laughter. I'm talking, careless, deep belly laughs that could go on for long periods of time.



This is Lola reading US the story. "Panda bear, Panda bear what do you hear. Her take "Panda bear, Panda bear Whadda wadda hear? (insert laughter here:)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I swear I didn't say the F word once around her!